Announcements and Important Events
Attention Knight nation
We hope that everyone is staying safe and healthy during this difficult time. This certainly is unknown territory for all of us and finding our new normal is certainly a struggle. We are all disappointed how this school year and spring sports has ended for everyone, especially our seniors.
There are tons of questions and we certainly want to provide answers and direction as best we can. Please know that we at Champe as well as LCPS and the VHSL are working hard to get you that information and we will pass it on as soon as we can.
Below is a list of issues and concerns that we want to make available to everyone. If you have a question or concern to add to the list, please send me an email.
- Status of spring sports: There was some discussion from the VHSL to possible be able to provide some type of additional dates for competition. They have made the statement that all post season championships are cancelled. The possible hope for a week or two of play in July or later was considered but at this time no decision had been made and the possibility of additional play in the summer or fall is slim as there are simply too many moving parts and rules regulations to consider.
- Senior student eligibility: The VHSL has made the statement that no additional eligibility will be granted for seniors for next year. Certainly, waivers would be considered once a sense of normalcy returns but no blanket additional eligibility will be granted.
- Senior scholarships: Senior scholarships are still going to be available through the normal scholarship application process through the Counseling department. The athletic booster club offers 4 x $1000 scholarships for student athletes of members of the booster club. Once deadline information becomes available we will send out but please check the Champe web page for additional info.
- Senior recognition: The coaches have been given direction to work with team parents to develop and create a social media recognition for our seniors. The booster club is working on a recognition as well to give our seniors the honor, love and respect they deserve. Stay tuned for more information.
- Lettering for spring varsity sports: All student athletes that made a varsity roster WILL receive a varsity letter. You can work directly through the coaches on this and once LCPS opens the school building you can stop by the athletic office and pick up your chenille letter and bars and pins if you want them.
- LCPS spring athletic fee: LCPS will be reimbursing the $150 athletic fee. We are awaiting the exact process on how that will be executed and the timeline. With the large number of spring sports athletes, this may take some time. Once again thanks for your patience and as we get more detailed information we will pass it along
- College announcement day ceremony: This was originally scheduled for May 21st. Obviously, that is not going to happen. We are creating a PowerPoint presentation that we will make available. I am working with the parents and student athletes currently to get that completed.
- Spring sports team pictures: After talking with Victor O’Neil studios they are making a pick up available for the spring pictures, if you purchased them at their Middleburg studio. The pick-up times and dates are this week Tomorrow, April 7th from 1pm to 3pm Thursday, April 9th from 1030am to 12pm. The address is Iron light Studio (Victor O'Neill partner studio) 38688 John Mosby Hwy Middleburg, VA 20117. After these 2 pick up opportunities the remaining pictures will be mailed to John Champe and we will keep them there until LCPS allows visitors back in the school for pick up.
- Spring sports spirit pack items/money and meal money: Coaches are currently working with vendors to get answers on the spirt pack and meal money. They should be reaching out with answers on this if they have not already.
- Athlete of the Year, Iron Knight and Coach of the Year awards: We will still be recognizing our male and female athlete of the year, Iron Knight and Coach of the year award winners. I will be reaching out to the coaches soon for nominations and then we will vote and release the winners out via social media.
- Pick up of equipment/gear from your athletic locker: At this time, no one is permitted in the school building to retrieve items from athletic lockers. We will let you know once that changes.
- Uniform return/equipment return: Many of our spring student athletes have team uniforms and or school issued equipment. Although we cannot collect any of those items now, we will at some point need to collect everything. Information will be sent out later this spring as plans are formulated. Please keep those team uniforms and equipment secure for future return.
- All John Champe athletic fields are closed to the public – per LCPS, the Loudoun County Sheriff’s office and local/state ordinances. We appreciate you adhering to these guidelines for the safety and well being of our community. We understand that LCPS safety and security and the Loudoun County Sherriff’s office have been increasing enforcement of this ordinance. We are certainly looking forward to the day when we can open, and the community can enjoy our facilities once again.
Thank you to everyone for your patience and continued support. We will continue to provide updates as they become available.
Joe Breinig Jr. – Athletic Director
Anthony Royse – Asst. Athletic Director